Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I'm such a slacker


yes, I said it...and I mean it...I've not written a single blog in 3 months...I should be flogged with wet noodles until I scream for forgiveness. hehehehe
I'm not even going to try and make any excuses...I know I've neglected my blog...it wasn't a conscious decision, it just kind of happened. Instead, I'll tell you all whats been going on up here the the Northeast Kingdom on Vermont.
First of all..spring! and now, Summer! wooooo...which means I've been hard at work revamping my veggie garden space. With the help of Tallulah-belle (Yes, we named our tractor...we are sick people) I dug the bank up near the garden back about 6 feet or so...and then used that dirt to build up the bank on the other side..effectively doubling our garden space. We also got rid of our wooden raised beds and went to just mounded dirt raised beds, which gives us just as much space as before, but we can have as many as we have the dirt to build and don't have to worry about coming up with the wood for the frame..which gives us a lot more freedom. Also, we tested our soil and found out we had next to no nitrogen in our soil...so we added some dried blood and WOW! between that and the compost we got from Wise Worm Composting co...My garden just TOOK OFF!
My wonderful husband bought me my Canon 50D for my birthday. I absolutely love it. Its so much more intuitive than my old camera, and the picture quality is out of this world! So I've been working on getting some decent pictures and opening an ETSY shop..not the most ideal time to be trying it, but I'd like to be able to do SOMETHING with all the pictures I take.
My kids are finishing up their school year...I was stressing about putting together a portfolio and getting it sent off to the state when I realized that I have a licensed teacher here every Friday for D&D....and offered to pay him to look over their work and evaluate them. SO much easier. The state of VT is changing to that system next year anyway to help save money.
The sheep flock is in the process of being assembled. I've been in contact with the person we are buying from and I am so excited about getting them! These sheep are so sweet and fun to watch...I cant wait!!
Now for the big news:
We are in the process of buying a new house!
Like everything else in our house it happened really fast...we found it last month, I pushed Mike into applying for a loan even though he's not quite a Major yet (he thought we couldn't do it without the promotion). He was pre-approved for a lot more than we thought he could be (scary) and we put in an offer. The house is smaller than the one we're in now...but there is a newer 3 stall horse barn with an attached chicken coop complete with water and electricity. *sigh* I'd live in the barn if I could :-P There are 12 acres, 1/2 of which are meadow. The other 1/2 are forested and its backed up to acres and acres of forest land that I believe is in conservation. Can you say quiet??? There is also a little pond that is full of frogs. And the best thing? It cuts Mike's commute in 1/2!! I've been running around like a crazy woman (wait..I am a crazy woman) all this week trying to get everything lined up for the loan application...and then I had to over night the whole packet to Mike who is in Ft Knox for two weeks finishing up the class that will make him a Major. You would think I'd be stressed out..but in reality I'm just so happy to have found a house and land that I'm this happy with. It truly feels like home when I'm there. We should be closing the end of July, which will give us time to get the garage converted into a master bed room and get the fencing up for the sheep that we will be getting in August. So much to do...and I've never been so excited for hard work to begin!

4 comments:

Gayle said...

Twelve acres?! I am so jealous. Cutting his commute in half is by far the best benefit. It will give him so much more family time. I hope the whole moving process goes smoothly for your family, and I can't wait to see more photos from that camera!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...sounds like a total dream home!! I hope the move goes smoothly. But, will you miss the harvest of your veggies at the old house?

I wish we had a tractor to name...*envious sigh*

Lucky you on your birthday present! I'd love a new, cool camera.

What are you selling on Etsy?

Next post: pics of the new house, please!

Kimberly said...

Doesn't Demi Moore and Bruce WIllis have a daughter named, Tallulah-belle?

Happy to hear about the new house! Sounds like it will work out much better for the family and animals.

Firefly Mom said...

First off - glad to know you're not dead, what with all of the quiet - but I'm boiling water for the noodle flogging as we speak (or as I type. Whatever ;p )

Congratulations on the new house! That's very exciting. I can't wait to see some pix of it from your new camera.