Sunday, June 28, 2009

This years Garden




Of course I had to decide to completely re-do my garden right before I found the new house. I spent HOURS digging out the bank to expand and then putting the dirt along the other bank to build it up...effectively doubling my old garden space. Right now the whole area is just fugly beyond description...roots sticking out of the bank...waist high grass in some areas...bare dirt in others...mounds of dirt elsewhere...BUT...what I planted is taking off..partly because I took the time to test the soil this year and found out we had NO nitrogen at all in there...and also because I decided to mulch with hay/straw. If the chickens would just leave the hay alone now I know I would get double my usual yield.
Luckily (well...in this respect anyway) we will be able to harvest everything because we will be moving out and fixing this house up and probably renting it until we can sell it...and in this housing market...that could be a LONG TIME.

The far bed is broccoli, the one next to it is tomatoes.

Beans.


This is the compost pile that we threw all the extra seeds and plants into...see all the beans on top...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bummer about possibly not selling the house quickly, but glad you'll be able to reap the fruits of your labors. :)