So today I decided to post 13 phrases I'm ashamed to say I'm getting excited about saying on the night of the party:
1. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh...basically it's an expletive of disgust or discontent..and how fun is it to just say Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...it's kinda like growling...
2. Avast ye!....Stop..or pay attention..the control freak in me is loving this...
3. Blimey!....exhortation of surprise...sounds especially good if done in a really bad English/Australian/German?/what is that...Jamaican? accent...really...I'm no linguist.
4. Blow me down! - expression of shock of disbelief akin to "Holy Crap!" I think many of the guys there might be using this one often.
5. Hornswaggle - to defraud or cheat out of money or belongings (it's a gambling party..fake money..but dice and card games from the 18th century). I love how this one sounds when you say it too..."Did ye just Hornswaggle me? Ye filthy bilge rat!"
6. Savvy? - do you understand and do you agree? Puts a little sophistication into pirate speak me thinks.
7. Scurvy dog - mild insult. C'mon...this one is a classic...sounds especially good if you lower your voice to almost a growl...
8 Cackle Fruit - chicken eggs . Just cracks me up...lol cackle fruit...*giggle*
9. Thar she blows! - Whale sighting..Ok..we aren't going to see any whales..but I'm sure after a night of grog/bumboo drinking I will find an appropriate opening to stand on a chair and yell this.
10. Bilge-sucking wharf rat! - insult..because what kind of party is it if you can't call your friends of many years a name that evokes thoughts of furry rodents and disease...gosh..I love my friends.
11. Dungbie- rear end. I'm POSITIVE I will be able to use this in conversation amongst this crowd...several times...throughout the evening. "Ye dungbie's looking a little scurvy...ye bilge-sucking-wharf-rat!...have another cup o' grog"
12. Drivelswigger - one who reads about nautical terms too much. Ok..I might have a hard time with this one...but I just love how it sounds...say it...I know you want to...Maybe I'll just throw it out there like an insult "ARghhhhhhhhhh..ye bilge sucking drivelswigger!" ooo..I like that...
And the one that I'm chomping at the bit to yell out in the middle of a room full of my best loved friends?
13. Take a Caulk - The deck's gaps were sealed with oakum and tar, and napping on them would leave black lines on the clothes. Someone going to nap on deck could say they were going to "take a caulk". "Avast! She's headed to Take a Caulk!". Yea...I'm thinking that might cause a few people to expel any drink they have in their mouth at the time..and inspire me to yell "Thar she blows!" :-P
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants