Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #2


Thirteen plants I have coming back this year


Between my overgrown perennial garden and my herb gardens there are quite a few things coming back...

1. Pansy's...I never thought they were perennials but apparently they are (edited to say: Thanks to those of you who educated me that pansy's are in fact self seeding annuals! I could have picked up a book and read it, but I'm too lazy :-P So Thank you again!)...at least in my garden they come back year after year.



2. Globe flower, they are generally one of the first things to bloom in my garden..big yellow flowers. They make me smile :-)


3. Quince. OK technically not a "plant"..its a shrubbery (Knights of NI would be happy) but I haven't killed them like most of the other shrubbery I've had.


4. Day Lily's. Is it possible to kill these things?? I think not.


5. Hosta. This particular one I've had for over 10 years..I keep digging it up and chopping it up...and planting the pieces everywhere...there is A LOT of hosta on this property.


6. Comfrey..I make comfrey balm with this to help with my sons exczema. I love comfrey :-)


7. Tansy..another plant I wonder if you can kill. Again, I think not. I have Tansy in places I've never had tansy...it has a will of its own.


8. Forget-me-nots. My husband dug some of these up and put them in a Dixie cup and brought them home for me one day many years ago. He was working doing GPS and saw some growing beside the road and thought of me, so forget-me-nots always make me smile :-)


9. Violets..and they're spreading..fast.


10. Lupines. People always tell me how easy these are to grow, but I kill them. I only have one small patch and its about the same size this year as last year :-(



11. Bearded Iris's. I love iris's. I lay under them and photograph them from every angle when they're in bloom. People driving by think I'm strange :-P


12. Mullein. Ok really its wild, but I've purposely been letting it flower and go to seed to try and get it established on my property. The flowers are good for the lungs if you put the petals in hot steamy water and inhale the steam.

13. Lemon Balm. Its spread to my lawn. Which I actually enjoy because when I mow one side of my lawn smells like lemon, and the other smells like mint.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

These are all very beautiful. Those forget-me-nots are amazing.

Lori said...

I bet you have a beautiful yard:) Happy TT.

cindy kay said...

I have some of those same things growing in my yard, and I know what you mean about the hosta. I've done the same thing, and now I have hosta in a lot of different places. I would love to see your yard. I'll bet it's pretty.

shaunesay said...

Why is the ones you want to keep you can't, even if it's supposed to be the hardiest thing around, and the ones you just want to get rid of just seem to multiply?! I do like Hosta's though, we lost one from the late freeze last year, and I was actually able to split one of my others and put it over there, so in that case it was nice to have extras! ;)

You garden sounds wonderful too!

Happy TT!

Juliana RW said...

nice pics. I also love to take flowers shots....

Mine in here Thanks

Firefly Mom said...

Pansy's are actually prolific self-seeding annuals, which I why I love them so much!

I don't suppose you'd mind sharing your recipe for the comfry balm? My son has exzema and his skin is so sensitive that he has reactions to all perscription and many homeopathic remedies. I haven't tried comfry before, though.

I love the Quince - and I love your Monty Python reference :D

Happy TT!

Tink said...

I wish I had a garden... Did you know comfrey is called 'the master healer'in the Flora Brittanica by Richard Mabey. Apparently it is good for and against a lot of things!
Thanks for visiting my deity TT.

Hootin Anni said...

Everything looks so lush and healthy! You, girl, have a green thumb! And pansies ARE annuals ...but the seed can drop to the ground and come up again the following years.

My T 13 is shared, I hope you can find time to stop by if you haven't already! happy thursday!!

Tammy said...

I have a lot of Hosta and Day lily's because they are so hard to kill. That is the kinda plants I need. Thanks for visiting my TT.

Anonymous said...

It all sounds so nice. The forget me nots were sweet and would make me smile too.

Meju said...

How beautiful. I am not much of a gardener...but oh how I wish I were!

Danica Favorite said...

These are lovely. Your yard sounds wonderful. You need to post a pic of the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

You have a very beautiful yard, compared to all sand I can see from mine.;-)

Melanie said...

I had pansies that came back every year too (at my previous home) and I never realized they were perennials either.

Nice shots!!

Our Happy Happenings
Livin' With Me

Holly said...

Hey Stace-
Just getting caught up on your blog-I have been insanely busy and haven't even touched blogs in almost 2 weeks. Beautiful pics, great stories.
Love the one about meeting Mikes family-they all have the worst gas!! LOL!
See you later.