Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Family Meeting


Tomorrow night will be the first, of what I hope to be many, Family Meeting Night in the Davis household. This has come out of my desperation, for lack of a better word, for organization and just validation that the people in this family are actaully listening to me. My thoughts are, that with a system where things are voted on and new rules and chores are assigned in a meeting setting, perhaps my children (and, to be fair to my kids, my husband, because he's just as bad) will actually hear what is being said, and feel as though they have somewhat of a say in what goes on within the house. If all goes well, I hope to have a clipboard available during the week to which the family can write down things they wish to have discussed at the following meeting. I think I may also implement a dry erase board for chore assignments....but that is getting a bit ahead of myself...for now, I just want to get us all to sit down and discuss family business in a democratic, civilized way. HAHAHAHAHA....maybe that is setting myself up for failure....perhaps i should say, I just want us all to be able to sit down, and not have anyone bodily injured or anyone to break down in tears and run screaming from the room.
I do have high hopes though, I really think that this could work if everyone is willing to follow though with it. I just have to keep everyone motivated and make sure the meeting happen every week. At the very least (and this is truly selfish of me hehehehe) I'll get the weekly dinner menu written up and voted on, and maybe, just maybe, they'll actually eat their dinner without complaining...well..i can hope can't I? :-P

No comments: